7 Design Trends for Fall Decorating
1. Chevron - Chevron is a big trend in decorating and we like it even more when combined with burlap. Our burlap chevron ribbon is available in a variety of colors and looks great on Corn Stalks, Mums and Wreaths. Purchase it buy the yard or let us make up the perfect custom bow for your needs. The high quality allows it to hold up in harsh weather and can be used for multiple years. Just pack it away with the Halloween decor!
2. Dried Hydrangea - There are so many reasons to love hydrangea. These plants are low maintenance, beautiful and easy to grow. In the fall, the dried blooms look beautiful on their stems. Leave them on for fall and even winter interest in the landscape. But cut a few for use indoors or in planters! These dried stems look beautiful in arrangements both indoors and out.
3. Make it Edible - The height, color and texture of fall veggies that like cold weather make them an ideal candidate for fall decorating. Stick one in planters on the front porch. Next time you make a salad, simply open your door and pick! Enjoy some bang for the buck as you eat your fall planters! Below is Swiss Chard - give one a try this season!
4. Texture - This great shot includes an upclose view of "Field of Dream" Oranmental Corn. It is very tall and makes the perfect thriller for a fall planter. The plumes are both elegant and seasonal and add texture to the landscape. In the background of the shot, Millet can be seen. The fuzzy cat tail-lie plumes are a fall favorite. This year we are carrying varieties of Millet with both brown and an unusual lime green foliage.
5. Variegated Plants -The interesting foliage of variegated plants really pops in planters, even as blooms falter. They add a bit of drama and contrast to the planter. While a multi-colored Kale has a variegated look to it, other options include perennial grasses or heuchera, which can be planted in the ground when it's time to put the planter away for the season.
6. Add Something Round, Orange and well, you can guess: Add a Pumpkin! Spend two minutes on Pinterest and it's readily apparent that pumpkin decorating has exploded. There hundreds of opportunities to include pumpkins and gourds into fall decor. But you don't need to be a Pinterestista to pull this off. Choose something unusual such as a gray or white pumpkin, a warty super freak or gourd and simply add to the planter. No paint, sparkle or glue required.
7. Go Miniature - Miniature Gardening is a tiny trend that just gets bigger and bigger! Pick up a miniature plant, tree or evergreen and find a small planter. Miniature garden accessories are seasonal too. This season we have witches, goblins and ghosts to decorate your miniature garden.
Let's celebrate Fall! Our garden center has everything you need for fall decorating and landscaping. Visit The Barn for Broom Corn, Gourds, Super Freak Pumpkins and Straw bales in 3 sizes. Our designers would be happy to help design custom decor for the front of your home. Or take a look at The Barn's "Design on the Fly" design services. Learn more by clicking below.