Update: As of 2019, Fire Blight is severely limiting the ability for pear trees to survive in our area. In place of this the Jack Flowering Pear, we now recommend these two options:
Emerald Spire Crabapple - Narrow, Columnar Habit 10-20′ high x 5-10′ wide, Single Stem, Fireblight disease resistance, Fuschia and white flowers.
Royal Raindrops Crabapple - 15 to 20 feet high and wide; rounded form; pink flowers; maroon-red, persistent fruit. Good resistance to Fireblight
A Flowering Pear is an ornamental tree with white flowers that blooms in the spring. The Flowering Pear is a great small ornamental tree for the landscape and there are a couple different varieties we sell at The Barn Nursery, including the Cleveland Select (Chanticleer), Aristocrat, the Autumn Blaze. These varieties are beautiful and majestic, but their height and size can be troublesome for some spots. More and more frequently, we are being asked about trees for small spaces and the Jack Dwarf Flowering Pear is a great option. The Jack Dwarf Flowering Pear may stay small but it makes a big impact and we highly recommend it any landscape.
5 Reasons We Love The Jack Dwarf Flowering Pear
- Small Size, Big Impact: A perfect specimen for tight spaces such as near a deck or home. With a mature size of 15' H by 10' W, this is a great tree for under power lines.
- Spring Color: The Jack Dwarf Flowering Pear shouts "Spring has arrived!" with it's pretty white blooms which appear prior to the tree leafing out.
- Low Maintenance, Clean Shape: The tight branching of the tree grows into a symmetrical shape that doesn't require pruning and naturally looks clean and neat.
- The glossy leaves produce fall color that can be a mixture of yellow, orange and red.
- Small & Persistent Fruit: The greenish-yellow fruit is very small and it is persistent, meaning it doesn't fall off. So you get the look of fruit, without the mess.
- Healthy: The Jack Dwarf Flowering Pear is very disease & insect resistant.