Do you aspire to that perfect, spreading bed of gorgeous color? If so it's time to ride the wave..the wave petunia that is!
Wave petunias cover massive areas of the landscape in pure color and at a low price; plant them 1 plant per square foot for a cost of under $2 per square foot. They are easy to grow, spread like mad, and keep your landscape bright and colorful all summer long.
Here are some tips for planting wave petunias in the landscape:
- Make sure your location gives your Wave plants at least 6 hours of sun. These are sun-loving flowers that need its warmth and energy to look their best!
- Adding organics or amending your soil with compost creates an ideal Wave root environment. The further they can work their way into the soil, the better fed and hydrated they will be.
- After digging your hole, water them and mix in our Grow Fine Bloom Food. This will give your plants a head start to vigorous growth.
- When transplanting your Wave plants, maintain the same plant depth as the original pot or pack. Place it in the ground all the way up to its soil line. Pack it in nicely.
- Tidal Wave Petunias grow according to how you space them: Spaced 12 inches (30 cm) apart, they form a dense, mounded hedge. Spaced a little farther apart – about 18 inches (45 cm) – they will perform as large, mounded bedding plants.
- You can transplant a larger container of Wave Petunias or a hanging basket of Cool Wave Pansies right in the garden. However, do not attempt to break apart the plants or cut through the roots. Doing so may harm the plant’s root-base, and inhibit the ability to take in water and nutrition. It may also make it susceptible to disease.
A regular routine of Grow Fine Bloom Food (about every 10-14 days) when you water will keep your vigorous Wave plants fed and happy. Because of their aggressive spreading nature, this added nutrition is necessary to keep them sending up new branching and blooms.
If the plants get slightly over-grown or leggy in your landscape, you can cut them back. Remember to keep them fertilized and within 2 weeks you’ll see a fresh new carpet of color!
Enjoy the video below on these annuals!