There are a lot of great reasons to mulch every spring and the choice of mulch is just as important as the act itself. We now offer the ability to order online and have mulch by the yard delivered, just when you need it. We added the ability to order mulch by the yard online to better serve you.
Here are the 8 top reasons we recommend mulching your planting beds every spring.
- It keeps soil from washing away.
- Retains moisture in the soil. A healthy application of 3 inches of mulch means less watering and maintence throughout the summer.
- Suppresses weed. It will help prevent the growth and spread of weeds.
- Insulates soil and roots from temperature extremes. Mulch helps to maintain a temperate soil for plants.
- There is nothing better than a fresh application of mulch to clean up the look of your yard in the spring
WHAT MULCH TO USE:
At The Barn, we only use and a premium, triple processed, all hardwood bark mulch. Hardwood bark is the part of the tree that contains all the nutrients. Lesser grade mulches contain little to no bark, and are rarely hardwood. Mulch made up of mixed product, when applied, actually sucks up moisture and nutrients instead of distributing it. This low grade mulch is often made up of chopped up pallets and diseased trees. It is often attributed to the spread of disease such as Emerald Ash Borer. We encourage you to take a look at our Premium Bulk Mulch. The difference is readily apparent.
We also offer a double ground mulch at a lower price point, which works well for homeowners and landscapers.
We do not offer top soil, dyed mulch or playground mulch in bulk.
8 TIPS FOR BETTER MULCHING
- Spring fever. After a long, cold winter, nothing says Spring is here like a new bed of mulch. So apply mulch in the early Spring. Not only will it look great, it will help warm the soil and make your neighbors envious!
- Remove and Prevent weekds. Always weed before applying mulch. Apply Hi-Yield Weed & Grass Stopper to prevent weed germination.
- Scratch the surface. Lightly rake the soil to loosen up the surface before mulching.
- Feed first. This is an ideal time to feed evergreen and acid-loving plants such as Rhododendrons, Azaleas, Dogwoods and Hollies with a high quality plant food like Espoma Holly-Tone. So before you mulch, apply it in a circle around the drip line of shrubs or trees.
- How mulch mulch is too mulch. A uniform depth of 2 to 3 inches works for most mulches around established plants. Mulch that’s too deep can actually smother young plants.
- No volcanoes! Never pile up mulch next to anything. Keep mulches 2 to 3 inches away from the stems of woody plants and 6 to 12 inches away from buildings to avoid pests such as rodents or termites and other insects.
- Put a ring around it. When mulching around trees, the mulch should extend away from the plant to a little beyond the drip line. The basic idea is to cover a realistic portion of the root system.
- Give it the smell test. Replenish or replace mulch when it decomposes. Mulch should smell woody or earthy; if mulch smells sour like vinegar, replace it immediately.
BULK MULCH ESTIMATOR
We always recommend 3" of mulch. Any less and it is likely to disentegrate too quickly. At a 3" depth, you have enough mulch to create the blanket protection and nutrient supply you require. Simply click on the link below to calculate your needs.
WHERE AND WHEN TO PURCHASE BULK MULCH:
We normally deliver mulch on Fridays, but depending on availabilty we can do it within 1-2 business days of placing your order. Spreading can be done for an additional charge. We also will deliver bagged mulch. Call us at 847-658-3883 to discuss bagged goods delivery.
Winter Mulch Sale
Order Mulch now and you'll save $5! But more importantly, you'll be able to lock in the date you want to mulch. No more last minute calling, no more waiting for your delivery. Click here to order bulk mulch online.